A list of all the kings that the Israelites defeated – Joshua 12:1-24
The kings that Moses defeated
v1 *Israel killed the kings in the list below. *Israel killed them and *Israel took their land. This land was east of the Jordan, between the Arnon valley and Hermon mountain. All of it was on the east side of the Arabah.
v2 Sihon, king of the Amorites, was king of Heshbon. He ruled
· from Aroer to the Jabbok river. Aroer was by the middle of the Arnon valley. This is near the land of the Ammonites. It included half of Gilead,
· v3 the east of the Arabah from the sea of Kinnereth to the sea of the Arabah (the Salt Sea),
· as far as Beth Jeshimoth and to where Pisgah mountain begins.
v4 Og, king of Bashan, was one of the last Rephaites. He ruled
· in Ashtaroth and Edrei,
· v5 Hermon mountain, Salecah and all of Bashan as far as Geshur and Maacah,
· the half of Gilead to the edge of Sihon’s *kingdom of Heshbon.
v6 Moses, the servant of the *Lord, and the *Israelites defeated these kings. Moses gave their land to the *tribes of Reuben, Gad and half the *tribe of Manasseh to live in.
The kings that Joshua defeated
v7 Joshua and the *Israelites killed the kings in the list below. These kings ruled on the west side of the Jordan.
These kings ruled the land from Baal Gad in the Lebanon valley to Halak mountain. Halak mountain is near Seir. (Joshua gave to each *tribe a special part of the land.) v8 This was in the hills and in the western little hills.
Also, these kings had ruled the Arabah, the sides of the mountains, and the desert and the Negev.
*Israel ruled all the land that had belonged to the Hittites, Amorites, *Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites.
v9 The *Israelites took the land of the kings of
· Jericho, Ai (near Bethel),
· v10 Jerusalem, Hebron,
· v11 Jarmuth, Lachish,
· v12 Eglon, Gezer,
· v13 Debir, Geder,
· v14 Hormah, Arad,
· v15 Libnah, Adullam,
· v16 Makkedah, Bethel.
· v17 Tappuah, Hepher,
· v18 Aphek, Lasharon,
· v19 Madon, Hazor,
· v20 Shimron Meron, Acshaph.
· v21 Taanach, Megiddo,
· v22 Kedesh, Jokneam in Carmel,
· v23 Dor (in Naphoth Dor), Goyim in Gilgal,
· v24 Tirzah.
They took all the land of these 31 kings.
Verses 1-24 This is a list of 33 kings that *Israel defeated.
Verse 2-8 Moses defeated the first two kings, Sihon and Og. The *Old Testament mentions them several times.
Verses 9-16 Joshua defeated these 16 kings in the south of the country.
Verses 17-24 Joshua defeated these 15 kings in the north of the country.